This is a great place to start if you’re thinking about keeping animals, want to learn how to start a smallholding or just fancy a day on the farm. Spend the day on a genuine Welsh hill working farm and learn with farmer Andrew. The farm is in beautiful Mid Wales 10 minutes car drive from Welshpool. A day spent with Andrew will give you the confidence to go home and start making plans for your very own smallholding.
Smallholding from scratch will run from 10am until 4pm and includes a delicious farm lunch (optional).
10am arrival on farm
The basics of how to get started:
- What kind of land to buy
- Costs of setting up
- How to register your land
- Where to buy livestock and what to look out for
- How many animals to keep per acre
- How to prepare land for the arrival of livestock
- Best breeds to choose
- Housing requirements of livestock
12.00 – 1.00 Lunch and chat
1.00 – 3.30 Farm walk and meeting the animals:
- Field and paddock sizes
- How much pasture/water do you need
- Buying supplementary feed
- What animals can be stocked together
- Livestock shelter/housing
- Meeting the sheep, cattle and poultry
3.30 – 4.00 Q & A
We’ll finish the day with tea and cake and the opportunity to ask any further questions. Andrew is always happy for you to contact him by email after your course with any follow-up queries.
The afternoon session will be spent outside in the fields and livestock barns. Please check the weather for SY21 9DJ and dress appropriately, including:
Waterproof boots or wellies and weather-proof clothes which you don’t mind getting wet or dirty and a change of clothing for the journey home.
Interested? Express your interest.
Simply enter your details below to register your interest and the training provider will contact you.
(Please note all fields must be completed)